Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accounting

Status
Not open for further replies.

schleife

Technical User
Feb 5, 2001
i have a pix model 515 with vers. 5.1.2. Is there a possibillity to set up an accounting
for this machine.

Thank's .......

Im afraid you'll have to be a little more specific on what type of accounting you require.

i want to know, which inside nets (users) are taking to which destination outside.

you can do a show xlate off the enable mode of the PIx if you telnet into it. Not sure if there is logging per se on this, I would love to hear anyone who knows differently.

You can try to use Pix Firewall Manager but it's not so good because crash all the time.
Or something more complex like Private I (eye) but will cost you.
I make a script in Unix which analyze the syslog messages and make those statistics. i run this script when I want and get the information.

Could you just set up remote syslogging.

Thats what I did on my 515. It loggs more info than I know what to do with !

-Danny

8dstaicu,

Where could I get a copy of the scripts to parse the data from the syslogs and report on it?

Thanks,
Scott

#!/bin/sh
grep $1 /var/log/pix.log |grep 304001|awk {'print $9'}| cut -f1 -d:|sort -nb| uniq |while read address
do
host $address
done

logging it's made on a unix machine in /var/log/pix.log from syslog server.
I'm looking for 304001 message:"user@ipaddress Accessed URL 110.112.115.10:/public/index.htlm"
$1 it's the parameter when running this script. Should be IP address of the inside host that you wanna spy.
$9 means 9-th word (between two spaces)- ip address of the server that was accessed.
It's better to have on the logging machine a dns server: it will work faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back