Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

account

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erbie

Systems Engineer
Jan 11, 2018
US
I recently got a brand new laptop out of the box, ran through the steps and it brought me to a logon screen with "other user" asking for username and password. I am connected to my work wifi, and any credentials I try are not working. Help!

Has it been set up to login to your corporate network?
Is it Home or Professional edition?
Are you the only user on it?

If this is a work laptop, you should contact support instead of asking anyone on the internet!
If not, we need some of the information asked?
It's not a refurbished laptop is it?

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

Definitely need more info, but it sounds like these are your scenarios:
[ol 1]
[li]Trying to use your work credentials on your personal laptop: in this case, your work computer login credentials SHOULD NOT work on your personal laptop. You should have other credentials. If brand new, store bought, are you trying to login to a Microsoft Account? If you don't have one, just tell it to skip.[/li]
[li]Your employer has a BYOD (Bring your own device) policy. If that's the case, they will have to provide the details as to how to get on your network. Just b/c you're on Wifi does not mean your on the company domain network.[/li]
[li]Otherwise, it should be in the hands of your IT department before you ever get it. So hopefully, this is not the case that it's a company laptop, not a BYOD situation. If this is the case, it kind of baffles me you've got the computer in hand first anyway. Normally IT for a business has to setup certain things before any employees can use their computer, particularly if not a BYOD situation.[/li]
[/ol]

Regardless of the scenario, the answer is likely talk to the IT department where you work. I cannot see any other answer here. If we try to tell you how to do something, it could be opposite of your employer's IT-related policies, as each business sets their own policies.

"But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." 1 Corinthians 15:57

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back