Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Account to use for backups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carboloy

MIS
Jun 24, 2002
US
For the longest time we have been using an admin account in our backup software settings to perform the backups. Everytime we change the admin password, we have to change the settings in our backup program. If we want to use a universal backup only account how would I set that up? Something similar to the Backup Operators group in NT.

Thanks!

One way you could do it is to create an admin equivalent account and use this instead. Probably best not to make the account Sequrity Equal to Admin, just give this account the access from the [Root] of your tree.

-----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

That's what I do. You can give it a very difficult password, and set it to not expire.

Good ideas.. I'll go ahead and create an admin eq. with a difficult password. Thanks guys

Like TheLad said, don't make it "admin-equivalent". Actually grant supervisor rights to [root]. That way, if something happens to "admin" you have a backup. Remember that unlike Unix and Windows, there's nothing special about Admin. It can be deleted, have rights revoked, and anything else that could happen to a user account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back