Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

account manager problem as root

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2002
GB
Hi Gurus,
I cannt open account manager as root to add or remove users. How can I add, remove or unlock users is there other way, I have always used the graphical manager to do it before.
Your help will be appreciated

have a look at the manpage for adduser, removeuser and usermod

You also need to make sure that the Account Manager isn't already running - I can't remember where it is, but if there is a file called AM_IS_RUNNING, delete it, and then your account manager should work.

This problem and its solution has been posted on this or other UNIX forums in the past, for DEC UNIX and Compaq/HP Tru64 UNIX.
The file to look for is /etc/.AM_is_running and if it exists, check no-one is using the dxaccounts GUI (use ps -ef | grep dxacc) before deleting it.

I hope that helps.

Mike

Many Thanks Mike/Looneygirl/Pete, I have removed /etc/.AM_is_running and it works fine now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back