Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Account lockout...Password fails with in seconds...

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkd

Technical User
Jan 6, 2006
US
Hello. This is similar to this thread... different enough that I think I needed to start a new thread.

My account is getting locked out with in seconds of it being reset. I have been on the phone with the campus admin, she resets the password, and watches it lockout with in seconds. No activity on my part whatsoever. No solution from the district tech person either. I continue to be locked out and it is causing a REAL problem...can't access daily online attednace, grades, nor can I set up the lab full of computers that I HAVE to switch over this week.

Any suggestions? Below is the longer description of what is going on...

As I have mentioned in another thread, I am a new PC lab teacher after teaching in a Mac lab since 1992 with my own server, etc.

I have a lab of 26 PCs that connect to the district PDC(?). I am being assigned admin control over just the computers in my room so I can get the printer and other hardware drivers and software installed, etc. As a teacher, I have a staff login that allows me to login anywhere in the district, from home, etc. giving me access to attendance, grades, email, desktop access, etc. In my room, I also have admin access to the local computer.

Before Thanksgiving, I got 2 of the new computers to start setting up. Admin access was enbled, etc. One of these computer is the one at my desk, I installed a few more programs that I will use that that the student stations will not use, but nothing really strange, except maybe "Smartboad" software. I set up Outlook Express on the desktop PC to include the district IMAP as well as my hotmail and POP3 email account of my (SWBell).

My school account continued to work fine. Then I got 4 more computers and brought them online. I installed a a few printer drivers on these new machines. A couple of days passed...and then the password challenges started.

I am on the far side of the campus...and connectivity has always been sporatic...and was completely knocked out by Hurricane Rita. It has been even more spradic since then. Right before Tahnksgiving, on one particular day, I had a password challenge on my Mac laptop, trying to check email. Email send/receive failure has been a common thing beause of network congestion/connectivity issue. But I was also trying to check attendance on the desktop PC, which requires me to login to my staff access. On this same day, I had requested a new password. Which at first appeared to be changed by a campus assistant tech person...but then learned that it had not changed. Well, in a span of about 15 minutes, numerous attempts were sent with the old passowrd, new passowrd, from both computers, etc. And the account locked up.

I was on the phone with the main campus tech. She confirmed that the password had been changed. We got the access resolved. But the next day, I restarted the PC computer, and it would not let me in. The account was locked out. Everytime the campus tech reset the password, it would lock out. I shut down all the computers, even deleted email IMAPs for the district email account. Even with everything off and or off-line...the password still locks up. When we came back from Christmas break, the account was unlocked. But later that day, it was locked up again. Somehow it came back up, but today, I got locked out again.

The only other catalyse from yesterday to today is that I conencted the 2 new computers to network cords. Te computers are headless...and were only connected so that the campus tech could "see" the computer on the network to set up admin permissions for me on those computers. I unplugged 20 of the 26 computers (to reconnect the Macs to finish out the semester). The ohter 6 computers are either off or sitting at the log in screen.

Well, that is about it for details. Sorry for so many...but this has got both the campus and district top tech people stumped. I am stuck on the end dying on the vine. Not having access to my on-line grades and attendance is REALLY challenging!

Anyway, any suggestions?

Thanks in advnace!!!

dl

I'd bet you money that you are logged on from another PC somewhere with an old password.

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

markdmac said:
I'd bet you money that you are logged in from another PC somewhere with an old password

Sorry but you'd lose that bet today...

I came in this morning to the exact situation described above. I have 11 clients and 4 servers, 1 2003 exchange, 1 2003 and two 2000. I upgraded a router last night during the wee hours.. All servers were rebooted at that time.

I had to log in to each of the computers to change their network settings (static ip) and turned them all off when I was finished.

The user that came in at 7:30 this morning reported the problem with her account. After getting her on-line and no more lockouts, an hour later, a second user came to me with the same problem.

I downloaded the tools in the other thread. I used the lockout tool to reset the account. I refreshed the screen every three seconds.. and by the time thirty seconds had passed the account was locked again. This went on for some time. Finally it abaited and I thought I had corrected the problem. However 45 minutes later he was back in my office describing his situation.

Rather than create a new account and delete the otherone I renamed his current login. This allowed me to keep his existing e-mail intact. It also stopped the attacks on his account. I'm still researching cause I'm leary of the nature of this. Any further contributions or solutions are greatly appreciated.

"If the only prayer you said in
your whole life was, 'thank you,'
that would suffice."
-- Meister Eckhart

Is it possible you have a service running with these/this account/s?

XP/2003 etc have options to attempt to restart the service on failure, so they could be failing and trying again and have another logon failure.

It is just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back