Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

account locking up HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbalen

MIS
Dec 19, 2003
US
One of my users account is locking up when scrolling throuhg messages. I can go into other folders and it is fine, which leads me to beleive there is a corrupt message and I cannot get to that message to get it out of there...Tried a consistency check and it comes back ok. trued a strucal rebuild and same thing.

Help!!!

tried on a different pc?
or over web acc to verify it's an account issue

Yes, no matter what pc you try it on, it does the same thing.

On web access, you can see the same messages but when you try to go to the next 30, it compplete kills gw web access (and I have to go restart the gwinter process.

Run maintenance on his mailbox and tell it to fix any errors that it encounters.

-Ron

P.S. Check the Knowledgebase ( Search for "client locks" under "Groupware".

We all play from the same deck of cards, it's how we play the hand we are dealt which makes us who we are. -Me

We ran everything we could on his mailbox short of rebuilding the whole post office.

Try archiving all the mail the user wants to keep and deleting the rest. At this point you could unarchive mail a few @ a time and see if you run into a bad message. Just a thought.

FarOut
V-Peace-V

If groupwise wasn;t so antequated and allowed you to archive an enite efolder rather than one message at a time, I would try that. As it were, see my original message. I can onbly scroll to a certain point in the inbox until it crashes. Again, we have run EVERYTHING on this mailbox and nothing worked. It would be really hepful just to get to a group of messages to see which one is the offending so I can pull it out.

Any of this store and retrive method was always bad, but at least in exchange via na outlook client (I did this for my netdscape users) i could connect to their box, remove thr bad message and away they could go to retreive all of their goodies.

What version of the GW Client are you using? It is true that GW will not Archive a whole Folder but I have always been able to select a group of messages or all messages in a folder and they get archived and the folder will also be recreated in the archive if it doesn't already exist.
Under the conditions that you are experencing I would archive the messages One at a time until I got down to the bad message. Then I would restart after the lockup and resort the Date field and archive the messages from the other direction until I got down to the last message. Now the only question is how do you delete it with out locking up.
If you have to delete the mailbox and recreate the account you will need to change the FID of the archive to match the new account FID and then unarchive the messages you need.

HTH
Ken

I agree with Ken. But try just deleting the users DB file once archived, send the user a message from NWADMIN (I assume you are using 5.x) and that should re-create the user a new DB file, and the user will have the same FID. Then they can move mails back if they want to.

Or maybe restore the DB file from the day before it started crashing to confirm a corrupt message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back