Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Account lock out on Win 2000 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

cayuga7

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2002
US
I have a Windows 2000 domain that was previously a Win NT domain, with the NT box still attached. Also have 2 Win 2003 servers. Some of my user accounts are experiencing unexplained lock-outs and inability to stay connected to the domain servers. It only seems to happen on Win 98 client workstations.

The scenario is this: User logs in to domain with Win 98 client. Is able to connect and use everything on domain. Leaves workstation idle for a time. Returns to workstation and now cannot access domain server resources. When I check their user account they are locked out. (Our policy is 4 failed attempts causes lock-out) I then clear the lock-out condition. Now they can access domain.

Thanks for any thoughts or help.

98 doesn't like 2000 or AD. i think there's even a download available from microsoft to help 98 talk to AD, but i can't remember what it's called. i assume from your verbage that this didn't happen when you were using NT.

yes theres a AD package you can install on win98, but win98 really shouldnt be used anywhere near an AD ! I advice strongly to upgrade the workstations OS.

bst rgds

I believe the AD package everyone is mentioning is really only the AD Extensions for Windows 9x and it really is only used so 9x clients can find Printers and Shares etc...

It doesn't do much more than that. They still need WINS so if you've dumped that, you might want to look into putting it back and start troubleshooting from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back