Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

According to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisHirst

IS-IT--Management
Nov 23, 2001
GB
Does anyone else find that the misuse or mistranslation of "in my opinion" being worded as "according to me" makes anything that follows it appear to be incredibly arrogant?

Example:
thread1842-1757978 second post.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

According to me" seems plain wrong.

What I find even more arrogant is "IMHO" which indicates anything but humility.

Aspiring to mediocrity since 1957

> "IMHO"

Quite. IMNSHO is better ...

However, in this particular case I rather think the poster was making an attempt at ironical self-deprecating humour.

IMHO. "According to me" = "Take this for what it's worth"

What's most important is that you realise ... There is no spoon.

I red flagged that post. It looks and smells like a vendor. Hence the arrogance. :)

(User has only one post and it's to a website offering IoT integration services - I'm explaining just in case the post is deleted by the time you read this)

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

kwbMitel said:
IMHO. "According to me" = "Take this for what it's worth"

That is what it appears they are trying to say, but;

"According to [insert authoritative source]" is correctly used when citing or drawing attention to a point or fact that is [usually] supplied by a third party source, which may be more reliable than any of the current participants.

Such as "According to the weather forecast ... "

It can of course be used for a less reliable source, as in "Well! According to her at No 15 ..."

"According to me ... ..." just comes over as "I am right on this, so you had better take notice".

We've got priests for that kind of thing.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Time flies like an arrow, however, fruit flies like a banana.
Webmaster Forum

Going back to your original question I'd conclude "in my opinion" is never worded as "according to me". That would imply someone thinking along the lines the latter is just a stronger version of the former.
It partly is, as everything someone says can be thought of as opinion, but then so "according to me" would not just be arrogant, but stupid, if it's meant seriously from someone not having any authority.

Or it might be ironic. I'm with strongm here.

Bye, Olaf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back