Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accidentally installed Exchange 2010 on the wrong partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

irbk

MIS
Oct 20, 2004
US
I did all my homework, figured out what kind of setup I needed and ordered my Server for Exchange 2010.
Server was supposed to be 2 75Gb drives in a Raid 1 for the OS (the "C" drive if you will)
4 145Gb drives in a Raid 10 for Exchange and all of it's sub parts.
When we got the server from Dell, for whatever reason, rather then give us 1, 65 Gb "C" partition, Dell decided to give us 1, 40Gb and 1, 25GB partitions on the Raid 1. I KNEW from the get go it was going to be a problem. However, I just figured I'd ignore the 25Gb partition, or perhaps use it for log files.
Exchange 2010 gets installed, some mailboxes for testing are moved, everything is looking really well. It's at this time that I go to install our backup software so that we can start moving over a larger volume of users. This is when I find that I goofed up big time. Despite the fact that I looked at it 3 times to make sure I installed Exchange 2010 on the Raid 10 partition, I installed it in the wrong partition. It's now sitting on that little 25Gb mirrored drive.
My question is, what options do I have? At the very least, I need to move the mailbox and public folder (we still use outlook 2003) databases to the Raid 10 partition. I'm not sure how difficult that will be. I've already got mailboxes moved over. I can't move them back to the Exchange 2003 box. I don't have a 2nd box that I could build with Exchange 2010 to move the mailboxes to store temporarily while I redo Exchange on this box.
Do I have any other options then just moving the databases?
If Exchange 2010 is running on a Raid 1 (same Raid as the OS, but different partition), but the database is sitting on a Raid 10, am I going to see horrible performance?

4 145Gb drives in a Raid 10 for Exchange and all of it's sub parts.
Hopefully not the transaction logs, message tracking logs, and databases, too.

You can move the mailbox and Public Folder databases, transaction logs, queue database, and just about everything else except the binaries after the fact. microsoft.com has all of the info you need.

But a more important question is why you didn't flatten the server out of the box and resolve the volume issue? Can't say I know too many people that take it as-is out of the box.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

Plus when you order from Dell you have the opportunity to specify exactly the drive/partition configs. Too late now, obviously, but just FYI.

I'm Certifiable, not cert-ified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

There are no more PDC's! There are DC's with FSMO roles!

Not terribly too late. You could back out of the Exchange installation, flatten the box, and start over. But transaction logs and databases should never be on the same volume.

Pat Richard MVP
Plan for performance, and capacity takes care of itself. Plan for capacity, and suffer poor performance.

How am I going to back out of the installation after it's already done, including having mailboxes moved?

I'll answer all your questions very easily as to why I didn't flatten it outright. Little bit of lazy, little bit of I was excited to start playing with 2010 and didn't want to dink around rebuilding the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back