Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accidental reassigning of main voice mailbox by employee

Status
Not open for further replies.

portsample

Technical User
Apr 10, 2020
US
Recently, a precocious new hire at my company, took it upon herself to log in to our Nortel-Plus system as admin, and attempt to configure the handset that she was assigned. In doing this, she reassigned the default voice mailbox from our main phone to her desk phone. Now when someone leaves a message on the main line, her phone gets the LCD notification and the main phone password must be entered in her phone to access the message.

Can anyone one provide insight regarding what she may have done and how I can resolve this?

System serial number may be NNTM040CUWPM, 1999/02/10. Handset is M7310.

Thanks in advance.

I would say have lil miss pro change it back from her ext/DN to the original one.

A great example of why admin passwords should be changed so employee's do not Ph things up.

BTW it does not matter what the handset is, it;s all in the system programming.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Thanks for the response. The person that was the administrator/guru for the phone system retired 10 years ago. We've been limping along since then. I've been wondering what the best solution to this might be: deleting the new employee's voice mail account, then assigning a new one to the employee's phone? But how to re-link the front desk mailbox to the front desk handset? What exactly is involved in , "... change it back from her ext/DN to the original one."?

I'm in a remote town in Alaska and the nearest real tech support is far, far away. Thanks again. Stay healthy.

The built in General Delivery mailbox is usually tied behind receptions DN.
If your 2 digit DN's the GD is mailbox number 10, if 3 digits then mailbox 100 and so on, you need to go into the GD mailbox through admin (ask newcomer how she go in).
MBOX/CHG/100/Ext:???

Once you change it back to how it was then create a new one for the new user.

Search for the CallPilot Manager Set Up and Operation Guide, everything is is explained in the guide.

If your remote location has a phone:
It does not matter where you are in the world, vendors can walk you through programming and in most case for a discount on the usual hourly rate.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Then change the Admin password so she can't get in again to screw it up...

Thanks Curlycord and MooreTel for the clear instructions and suggestion. I'll report back as to how it goes.

Okay, doing [Feature] [981], entering 1020000, OKAY followed by "MBOX/CHG/100/Ext:???" It appears that 100 is still assigned to the front desk phone (#721), and not to the new employee phone (#730).

Calling into the main line results in the main phone (#721) ringing, however letting it ring through to voice mail results in getting the out of office message for the new employee (phone #730), rather than the front desk message. I left a message following this. The LCD on the new employee phone (#730) showed new message, password for front desk phone (#721) entered on this handset (#730) retrieved message.

Seems that the new employee may have assigned the mailbox associated with her phone (#730) as the default for the main line. Further help would be greatly appreciated.

The phones are often told to go to voice mail's DN (F985 to see it)
That setting is called Forward No Answer and is in Set Abilities under Capabilities of the phone system programming.
I am guessing that that X730 Forward No Answer to voice mail is set to the same ring count or lesser than that of X721, you need to bump the ring count up.
That guide is called the Norstar System Coordinator Guide.
It is a little more complex to program.

Because 730 was told to go to voice mail under Forward No Answer yet there was no mailbox it then was redirected to the General Mailbox.
Adding the mailbox means it now has it's own mailbox to go to.

That's all my guess.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

The lines are set to Appear and Ring or Ring only on DN 730 (depending on how your office is set up). Setting the lines to Appear only or Unassigned on DN 730 will restore your normal operation. Unless of course you want the lines to ring on 730. In which case follow Curly's advise. Be sure the foward no answer timing on 721 is lower than any other ringing phone and Forward on busy is turned off as well.

you will need to log into the phone system admin not the voice mail to make these changes.

Marv ccna

Wow. Holy crow. I would not have figured that out in a million years. You were correct. I incremented "Forward delay" from "4" to "6" and this has caused the general voice mail message to be played, and client recorded messages to be saved on the account associated with the front counter handset, #721. This has resolved this issue.

H_O_W_E_V_E_R, I still think she did something else to her account because when I go to my personal phone (#734), go to Capabilities, I see that Forward delay is set to "4" (like #730 was) and my voice mail has not become the default main voicemail.

Is there anything else that I should look at on #730 that would make that handset/mbox normal again? Note that when I dial the direct number for #730, after 6 rings I hear the new chick's voice (as I should) and the message that I leave is correctly assigned to her phone (#730).

Thanks.

I incremented "Forward delay" from "4" to "6" and this has caused general voice mail to be saved on the account associated with the front counter handset, #721. "
No
Changing the ring count just changes the ring count at that set, it does not save any other programming.

Just make sure ALL sets that are told to ring (other then X721)have a higher ring count than X721 as I noted above.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

I suspect that the other 20 handsets in the office have ring counts set to "4" as the new employees phone was set to up until this morning. Is there another setting that she may have changed that would have caused her voicemail to pick up at 4 rings? Changing her's to 6 rings has resolved this, but I am concerned that something else is going on. Thanks for your help with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back