Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

accidental power loss on bcm 400

Status
Not open for further replies.

eqbc

Technical User
Aug 15, 2012
US
I need to add 20+ cables to a crowded/nightmare rack that also houses a BCM 400. If the power, power strip, or what have you, accidentally cuts power, will restoring the power bring the system and service back up, or, is there a series of steps that will be needed.

Unfortunately, the customer says they no longer have a vendor that services the system and the last few companies they've called can't/won't touch it.

We only do cabling and are willing to walk away from the job.

Just count to 10 and turn the power back on. It will reboot and everything should come back up on its own. If it doesn't, then there was something wrong with it to begin with.

i would see as to why vendors wont touch it? there are plenty of companies that still happily service these bad boys (including us)

there must be a pretty good reason for vendors to be turning down money

Be very careful. Some companies are really quick to point the finger as to liability. If the system gets powered off and it doesn't come up correctly they may scream that you are at fault. You will have an issue on your hands. You may experience other problems as well. Things may be working now but if you touch it then who knows. May not be worth the headache.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS, ATSP/IP

Or, you could charge a lot more than normal for hazardous work.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS, ATSP/IP

Thanks for the input guys. Doing the job tomorrow, punching down after 5pm just because I'm paranoid, [3eyes].

Not sure why no one wants to service the system. The customer is pretty easy going and pays quick.

This must be a pretty crowded rack or something? I've never came across one that would scare me as far as a system losing power. If it's that bad can't you get a new patch panel and mount it away from the system totally? Where are you loacted?

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Norstar. BCM. CS1000 Programmer

I'm in Houston, Texas.

The enclosed rack, which houses the system and patch panels, is a complete nightmare. Some patch cords are 14'+, power cords are either too long or too short, every thing is basically piled on top of everything else.

Yeah it's sad there is such poor work out there like that, especially when alot of people take pride in their work and some idiots come in behind someone with work like that. In most cases it's the data guy that does the sloppy patching and such, I hate seeing stuff like that.

Jeremy J. Carter
Charm City Communications
Norstar. BCM. CS1000 Programmer

norstarboy

you hit that on the nose.

what i love most is when we install 2 racks one for voice one for data

we do all the cabling and then install our equipment

our rack looks beautiful and then right next to it is a bees nest, even though we provided the data guys with wire management

it only takes an extra few seconds per patch cable and it makes the next guys life soooo much easier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back