Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing wrt54g router remotely

Status
Not open for further replies.

zenlakin

Technical User
Sep 28, 2005
US
I am trying to access my router from the internet and for some reason it is not letting me. I either get connection refused or gateway timeout errors. I have the ports forwarded and remote access enabled. I put in my internet ip address and a colon and then the port number I have open and it still won't allow me to connect. I of course am able to connect to the router from the local ip of my workstation or by using the internet ip while I am on my local workstation.

Chances are your ISP is either firewalling your attempt to connect to the router or NAT is being performed (i.e. your router's internet address is being translated to something else).

My ISP NAT's my address and you can use the following site to determine what address (if any) you are being translated to. If you are being translated to an address you don't recognise, try telnetting to this new address.

If all else fails, I'd probably recommend you call your ISP and request their assistance.

KK
CCDP CCNP CCIE(Written)

Don't forward the remote administration port, this is a common mistake (think: where would you forward it to?). If remote administration is enabled, it will probably be set to use port 8080.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back