Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing URL keeps prompting me for password

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edney

IS-IT--Management
Mar 18, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I am running Zetafax v8 on a Windows 2000 domain controller. Zfax v8 has a web client which runs on a IIS backend.
I can successfully access the zfax web client using the URL.
I would like to use a company user friendly URL instead of the non-user friendly URL shown above.
I have added a new DNS "A" record called zetafax.mycompany.com and pointed it to the correct IP of our zfax server.
I have attempted to connect to this address, I recevied a "Under Construction" error page.
I have since altered the default website settings to adjust the "home directory" tab, by pointing to the correct directory where the web client files sit. (this location is correct)
Accessing the URL again, I receive a "directory listing denied".
I alter the default website settings again, on the "documents" tab, I add in the index.aspx & default.aspx documents and move them to the top in the priority order.
Accessing the URL again, it prompts me for a username and password. If I enter my credentials it loads the page successfully.
This should not happen and we do not want this to happen. When I enter the old URL mentioned it goes straight through without prompting for password which is what should happen.

Would anyone have any suggestions??

I have also tried entering a multiple identity for this default website to point to our still no luck.

Any help would be much appreciated,
Thanks Edney.

You need to setup the header infomation in IIS so it pick it up as zetafax.mycompany.com

Also you need to give anonymous access to the site that is why it keeps prompting you for user and password.

Also instead of setting up an A record in your DNS setup a Alias(CNAME) for the site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back