Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing the System Attendant 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levi_imported

IS-IT--Management
Oct 26, 2000
GB
A potentially stupid question, but I need to know how I can delete items from the mailbox for the system attendant account (or if it is possible). our exchange server ran out of disk space, and now I need to reclaim some before attempting a defrag.

In addition, if anyone knows where I can get the utility for defragging to a remote / alternate drive I would appreciate it.

This is from Technet... the url is
Good luck...

Adrian.

XADM: How to Defrag an EDB File on a Non-Exchange Server

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Exchange Server, versions 4.0, 5.0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SUMMARY
In certain cases it may be necessary to defragment a Microsoft Exchange Server database file offline. If there is not enough disk space on the server running Microsoft Exchange Server to do this, but there is enough disk space on another Windows NT Server that does not have Microsoft Exchange Server running on it, you can perform the defragmentation without having to install Microsoft Exchange Server. This article will explain how to do this.

MORE INFORMATION
To perform a defrag on a Windows NT Server that does not have Microsoft Exchange Server running on it, follow these steps:

Verify that there is enough hard disk space on the server where you want to perform the defrag. There must be at least twice the amount of free hard disk space as the the size of the database file. If the database file is 10G, there must be at least 20G of free hard disk space.

Create a blank directory on the non-Exchange server and copy the following files to that directory:
Edb.dll - located in the exchsrvr\bin
directory
Edbutil.exe - also in the exchsrvr\bin directory
Priv.edb, Pub.edb, or Dir.edb - the database file needing
defragmentation

From the new directory on the non-Exchange server, run the following command:
EDBUTIL /D <path to the database file>
For example, if the directory where these files are located is C:\Defrag, and you want to defrag the Priv.edb, use the following command:
EDBUTIL /D C:\DEFRAG\PRIV.EDB

Thanks, I'll give it a try......

now all i need is a server with loads of free space..... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back