Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing the DSN Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan

Programmer
Nov 13, 2000
US
I want to be able to create/modify/delete dsn connections. I know this information is stored somewhat in the registry but I need a little more guildance. Can someone help point me to where I need to go to get more information?

Thanks,
Ryan

Also, I need to be able to do this with the following datasources:

Access
Excel
FoxPro
Text
SQL

Thanks for any info!

Actually nevermind ... I got it ... It's all within the registry.

Thanks,
Ryan

psst my two cents :-V

If you want you can check out the FAQ in the VBScript forum demonstrating these dsn thingies.

Have fun ;-)
caf

you mean the VB General forum ? ( I have a FAQ under there that shows all that as well, I made it into a ActiveX dll and used it in ASP for remote dianostic)
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

I need to know also, though, how to edit a remote computers registry. Meaning, telling one server to access the server next to it, as long as it has the correct authentication.

Thanks,
Ryan

well if you did my method (creating an ActiveX to handle the in between's for you) you could have a HTML form,submit the changes you want to an ASP, then the ASP can use the ActiveX dll to change the server's registry settings.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

That scares me. You'd better make certain you have the appropriate security in place before you allow this to happen.
Monte Kalisch
montek@montekcs.com

Hi

(you mean the VB General forum ? )
No
I mean the VBScript forum
The reason it was posted there was because someone wanted to be able to do it from within an html page using vbscript so I provided the code to an ActiveX dll that can be called via vbscript & or asp.

Actually I found what I want, all the functions I need are found in the advapi.dll. Can anyone shead some light on all the functions or a white paper on this important .dll?

Thanks,
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back