Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing Tape Device on Separate Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

amerbaig

IS-IT--Management
Sep 4, 2001
CA
I have Solaris 8 on two physical different machines. One machine has functional tape device. I want to access the machine having tape device and want to dump some files on Tape. How can I do this? I don’t want to use root user to do this. I just want to do this via ordinary user. Please help me out.

do a remote shell (rsh ) from the machine that has the tape device to the other, and in your remote shell do a tar or ufsdump of the file system you want to backup.

Hi,

U can use the ufsdump command utility to backup your files from one system to another.For this make an entry of the romote user and its IP in the files /etc/hosts.equiv and /.rhosts of the server which has tape drive connected to it.
U can then give the command on local machine whose bkp is to be taken :

ufsdump 0uf <remote-server>:/dev/rmt/0 /home &

I hope this helps.....

Can I do it with common user. I mean I don't want to use root user to do that. That's mail problem. How to go about it

Regards
Amer

Hi,

The ordinary user won't be able to take ufsdump backup.But if u install 'sudo' package on your system then u can grant that user this facility.U can get sudo package from
I hope this helps....

This is good help, but my vendor does not allow me to install 3rd party utilities. Can u suggest me some solution with Solaris

Regards
Amer

You could ufsdump to disc, ftp the file to the other machine then tar it to tape.

Ged Jones

Top man

File size in GB. Couldn't do it on Disk. ALso I want to telnet from a windows machine by ordinary user.

Regards,
Amer

Dear,
U can try using the NFS client on the server whose backup is to b taken - by connecting it to the NFS server of the destination server (2 which tape is connected)
NFS server/client is preinstalled - u jus need to share a volume (the one to which tape is mounted) on the destination server ( by using share command) and mount that volume on the server whose data is to be backed up
u may need to do the foll. at /etc/init.d

nfs.server stop
nfs.server start
nfs.client stop
nfs.client start

* U don need to hv root privelege to the user *

Regards
Vijay Best Regards,
- Vijay Guneta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search