Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing SQL Server 7.0 from SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWChowd

Programmer
May 26, 2002
US
Does anyone know if I can use SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Manager to Access a SQL Server 7.0 Database? Might I have issues with 2000-compliant sql that might cause problems in 7.0?

any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
DMill

======================================
"I wish that I may never think the smiles of the great and powerful a sufficient inducement to turn aside from the straight path of honesty and the convictions of my own mind."
-David Ricardo, classical economist

Never had had any problems here. Its just a program to view the informaiton available. You will see things on your sql7 server that are new to the sql2k enterprise manager. The data was always there, just what your using to look is differetn

You should install SQL 7 first then install SQL 2000.Then register both server from enterprise manager.I dont see any issue when I am using

thanks!

"I wish that I may never think the smiles of the great and powerful a sufficient inducement to turn aside from the straight path of honesty and the convictions of my own mind."
-David Ricardo, classical economist

We've been doin' this some time, and there ARE issues. e.g. when making a DTS package on a SQL 7, by using Enterprise Manager version 2000. Couldn't get them to run by a schedule. We reconfigured a workstation with sql 7 and made the exact same packages, and that worked. But then, it may depend on what you do in the DTS. Other than this DTS problem, I can't recall we've had other issues. Greetings [shadeshappy]

As far as it working technically, this is fine - this is how I am set up at work.

However, there are a couple of things just to be aware of, like Patrick2002 says. DTS is one in particular - SQL 2000 has lots of new tasks which aren't supported in SQL 7 (although I've never had a problem scheduling a package).

Also, remember when you're using Query Analyzer that it may highlight certain keywords which aren't actually valid in SQL 7. But so long as you know what you can actually do in SQL 7 then you should be fine!

--James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back