Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing SMC configuration from outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansonng

MIS
Feb 16, 2003
AU
Hi All,

I have a SMC Barricade 7401 Router modem and it is working fine with me. Ddue to some needs I want to access my pc from outside, ie not lan. I have vnc installed on my pc and also in the barricade settings, I have setup a virtual server that point 5901 to my pc. However when I try to access it from my friend's pc, it says failed to connect to server some sort. I am sure the problem is with my smc settings (trust me this) but I am struggling to figure out how to fix it. Do I have to open any udp port? I tried to configure my smc remotely too but I couldn't reach it as well. At my pc I can access my smc with my wan ip and I thought I can do the same at my friend's place. So how do I configure this?

Another question is for those of you who have smc router, under the misc configuration settings, what are they for? I couldn't understand them even after reading the manuals. Any hint?

All replies are greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the tips, I have tried to ask the people around there but so far I still couldn't reach my router setting from remote side. Praying hard...

Greetings Ansonng,

I know this may sound silly, but has your provider assigned you a static/fixed IP address? Are you using NAT to work out your internal (LAN) IPs?

Can you reach your router at all from the outside?

It's always best to check the simple things first.
B. Dahl

You will probably need to re-configure the filter set rules (as well as other things) in your router. You will probably have to Telnet the router to access the advanced setup rather than using web based access. Keep in mind that if you start changing rules,ports and port forwarding you may leave yourself open to a security breach. Particularly ports 21,23 and 80. I have no experience with SMC Barricade 7401 Router though.

I am using dynamic dns to connect to my router. While I can ping to my dynamin dns, I couldn't reach it at the browser, which obviously was due to my settings. I can access the advance setup in my web bases access but I couldn't figure out what did I missed out. And ya, I am aware of the breach too, thanks for the reminder :) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back