Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing server from different subnet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 21, 2003
US
How can I get a workstation running Novell client to see and access a Novell Server on a different subnet? One of my instructors tells me that the client and server must be on the same subnet. This seems ridiculous because Novell prides itself in being a great platform for large enterprises. Any help is VERY appreciated.

Depends on your server configuration. If you have IP and IPX running on the server, you don't have to do anything because the workstation will be able to connect IPX to the server. If you are just running IP (and providing your workstation has an IP Address), you may have to configure SLP on server and client. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

How difficult is it to configure SLP on the client and swerver?

Hi there,

I have installed novell client v4.83 on my winxp notebook on 192.168.x.x subnet and I don't have any problems accessing the netware 5.1 server on 10.x.x.x subnet. I can only say that I have bound only ip to the network card on the server.

Anyway, good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back