Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing serial ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

gm

Programmer
Jan 26, 2000
GB
Dear all<br>
<br>
I want to write a simple paging app (without the baggage of other apps out there).<br>
<br>
Simply I want to open a serial port (connected to a modem) and run at commands against it.<br>
<br>
Problem is I don't know how to access the serial ports. I need to do this both on Unix and NT,<br>
<br>
Thanks

There's also a Device::SerialPort module, described as &quot;POSIX clone of Win32::SerialPort&quot;. So that covers Unix. And to go with this you've got the actual Win32::SerialPort module (which may be included in the standard Win32 perl distribution. If not, it's on CPAN for sure.)<br>
<br>
So, it's probably gonna be a case of checking which OS you're running on and then 'use'ing the correct module for your platform.<br>
<br>
Not got any actual experience of using either of these, but they sound like they should fit your requirements.<br>
<br>
HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back