Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing S8100

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufusp

Technical User
Aug 12, 2004
US
Have a DefinityOne upgraded to an S8100. So the big question, is it possible to remote in to the S8100 using IP from ASA? More specifically, without using dialup/modem? The answer I get from my vendor is NO... which seems insane, but it is a crazy world. Feedback or docs would be appreciated. THX.

were you able to access the Def1 via IP before the upgrade?

Unfortunately, before my (or anyone else that's in the group) time.

I'm not very familiar with the S8100, but if it has a terminal connection, then you can put it on the network. We have several systems ranging from V4 to V8 that don't support networking. So I purchased a device from Digi called Digi One SP. They cost about $170 each and allow you to connect to the terminal connection via the network. Another device called LANSAT does the same thing but costs more. Basically what happens is when you connect to it via a telnet session (what ASA uses on the network), it will forward everything to its serial port. Kind of works like a bridge from the console port to the network.

The only drawbacks are that you can only have 1 person at a time use it and the local terminal can't be used (only an issue if somebody local to the system uses it). Even with these limitations, they still beat using a modem.

If this sounds like something you want to try, let us know. I'll then write more information regarding the Digi configuration and wiring.

Look at the multi cable attached to the processor. It should have a LAN connector on it. did your unknowledgeable vendor attach it to your LAN with a patch cable and then go into the S8100 locally with a mouse monitor and keyboard execute some commands in 'bash' or 'LAC' prompts to get the processor ip'd for your LAN?

or go in through the services port on the front, to get access into terminal services..

This is very Simple... The S8100 has a network cable hanging off the G600 carrier(A); make sure it is plugged in. Hook up a monitor and mouse. Login to Windows NT, run IPCONFIG, get the ip address. Then open ASA or DSA enter the ip address and connect to port 23 for either Voicemail or Definity, based on which login is used. That Should do it. You can also telnet to the S8100 use the W2KTT terminal type. Hope this helps....

or it would be easier to go in through the services port instead of dealing with lugging a monitor/keyboard/mouse around...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back