Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing Platinum's data with Ms Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

Southerndiva

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2002
TT
Can anyone give me a step by step guide as to how i can access a PFW file and make global changes using MS Access. e.g. I need to do batch updates on a number of recs in the Chart of accounts. i.e change account type from X to XO4. I cannot seem to get past the first hurdle of setting up the ODBC connection.
Thanks in advance.

Your going to need an ODBC driver for Pervasive(Btrieve) to begin with. Once that is installed, you will need to have the .ddf file(s) for the version of PFW you are running. Then you can create your ODBC connection using the Pervasive driver, pointing to your data folder and also to the .ddf file(s).

Once you get that far you will likely get the results you want but post back if other issues crop up.

Lloyd Freiday

Thank you for your quick response. however some further questions. 1. Do you work from the server or from the work station. 2. What type of connection is it? client or ???. There are a series of questions that you are asked, that i need guidance as to how they are to be answered. if you can pls help. if not, thanks for responding anyway

I would propose that you work from a workstation and not the server where the files exist. What version of Btrieve/Pervasive are you running? Do you have the server engine installed or are you just using local workstation engines to access the shared data files?

Depending on the version of DB engine and/or ODBC drivers you are running the choices for setting the ODBC connection are different.

Lloyd Freiday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back