Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing Oracle Schemas

Status
Not open for further replies.

cristle

Technical User
Jun 5, 2003
DE
Hi,
I'm installing Crystal Reports Server 2008 on Red Hat Linux
Oracle will be used to store the CMS and the Reporting database on a different server to where CRS2008 will be installed.

Is the Oracle Cliemt required to be installed on the Crystal Reports Server 2008 and the TNSNames.ORA amended? to point to the CMS and Reporting Schemas

Any help is much appreciated.

Cristle

Hi,
Not sure of the impact running on Red Hat would have ( I'm used to Windows) but usually the Oracle client must be on the CRServer so the services can access the instance running the CMS ..If it were just for the reports' data sources, it would be possible to use a newer ODBC driver for Oracle which is available as a wire-protocol driver which needs no client software - but I am not sure one exists for Linux/Unix

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Thanks Turkbear,

I'm used to windows myself.

I've been contradicted on the need to install the Oracle Client on the CRServer, Like you I believe it has to be installed to access teh CMS

Thanks again.

Cristle

Hi,
Yes, If some program running on the CRServer box needs to access an Oracle instance running on some other server on the network, then either an Oracle Client or ,if available for Red Hat, a wire-protocol ODBC driver needs to be installed - how else is the CRServer going to access the required data from the CMS ? It is possible, I imagine, that there is some configuration of CRServer running on Linux that would allow the creation of a data connection using something like ADO( in Windows).

[profile]

Hi,
One additional thought: perhaps the Red Hat version of CRServer allows the use of a Java type conenction string for the CMS - that is similar to what the wire-protocol driver does..so it is something to look into in the Red Hat CRServer docs.

[profile]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back