Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing Oracle 8i server from .Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesworthy88

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2004
US
I need to access an Oracle 8i server running on Win2K server. I'll be accessing it from a WinXP Pro laptop and would like to know what client software I need to install and how to get it. It appears that I can't get client software for 8i from the Oracle website anymore.

I inherited a C# project that will only need read access to the db for reporting. (I've got plenty of db experience with Access, MySql, Pervasive but not Oracle)

Can I use newer software (9i, 10g)? I'd like to use the native Oracle driver for performance but I'd consider an OleDb provider, or ODBC drivers if either doesn't require installing the Oracle client software. I just want to get it working. However, I'd prefer to have access to any Oracle client tools that come with to test sql statment too if possible.

If anyone can tell me if I need any licensing to do this that would appreciated too. I will only be writing/testing the app on my laptop and not running it for production purposes (but there is no development db).

Thanks much!

Thanks much for the info. Looks to be exactly what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back