Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing 'My Documents' Folder from Office apps

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBass

Technical User
Dec 21, 2000
DE
HELP!! I'm using a company laptop and the build is such that the 'My Documents' area points to a folder on the network. This is all fine and dandy when browsing on my desktop, I can double click on 'My Documents' and voila! there they are in all their glory. However, if I open Word, Excel or any other Office application and choose File, Open, then click on the 'My Documents' shortcut (in the left pane along with History, Desktop, Favourites etc...) I get a You do not have access to the folder 'xxxxx'. See your administrator for access to this folder message. I've logged onto another machine and it works Ok so it's definately specific to my laptop. I've also tried removing Office and re-installing - no change. It happens with Office 2000 and Office XP. I did tweak the registry to get it to point to a different area and, although it stopped my machine loading when connected to the network!, it did cure the problem. Anybody come across anything like this before because it's driving me insane! :(

No registry tweak next time, okay?

Word: Tools-Options, File locations tab. Double-click documents.

Excel: Tools-Options, General tab. Default file location.

However, I believe your administrators should have a *docked* and *undocked* profile set up for you where when you are not docked, it should go to C.

Dreamboat, thanks for responding. I should quickly point out that I'm actually an IT Analyst not just your normal run of the mill user - hence the registry tweak. As for your suggestion, the default file locations were set for all Office apps but when I go to the Open File dialog box within Word, Excel, Access etc.. it reverts to the Desktop location. If I click on the History icon, I can see all files in Recent, My Computer icon also works as does Network Neighborhood but My Documents just throws up the error.

In Windows NT you would use

C:\WINNT\Profiles\username\Desktop

I'm not sure about XP, but it should be similar.

AC

What's under the reg for the "Windows" shell? I know of a tweak that overrides all of the others by changing it from MyDocuments to whatever... did you check there? (Hope you know what I mean!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back