Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing MouseKeys without the shortcut?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravogolf

Programmer
Nov 29, 2002
GB
Hi all. I'm quite stuck on this one! A friend of mine who's physically disabled bought a laptop (Compaq) and only realised afterwards that he can't use Mousekeys on it because in order to activate it he has to press the FN key and Sroll Lock.

However, he uses a mouth piece to press keys and so cannot hold more than one key down at a time. Sticky keys are out of the question since sticky keys don't apply to the FN key (and he needs the FN key to activate num lock).

Any ideas? I assume that the shortcuts point to a command to enable to disable this application. Therefore, can one write a command instead that could be double clicked or some other shortcut?

Sticky keys may help:

Shortcut is also Left-Alt key+Left-Shift key+Num Lock key

Thanks madonnac for that but unfortunately to get num lock on the computer the user has to press FN + Num Lock simultaneously.

Another forum user here mentioned that FN has a stick function whereby the user can press FN and then press Num Lock separately but this doesn't seem to work :(

Put this in a text file with a .vbs extension on the desktop and double click to see if it works. On my Toshiba laptop it does toggle my capslock, but not the numlock. I think this is close to the solution though...

Code:
set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.SendKeys("{NUMLOCK}")
WshShell.SendKeys("{CAPSLOCK}")

Brian

Thanks Baltman, I'll have a play around with this and see if I can get it to work :) I wonder if one can use that program to activate any key? Then I could create one that activates the shortcut to MouseKeys ...

Sendkeys can activate any key or combination of keys, except apparently the laptop 'Fn' key. Very frustrating. I didn't try the more complex code, but I believe the same limitation would exist. I am very surprised there isn't an easy anwer.

I did find some software for sale, but I couldn't vouch for anything.

I will post if I come accross any new information.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back