Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing mail from multiple Exchange 2010 servers? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lstorm

IS-IT--Management
Mar 17, 2003
US
We were thinking of having an Exchange server on the West coast replicate with a server on the East coast specifically because we have a main office on each coast which people travel back and forth.

So is there a way when a West coast person travels to the East coast for them to be able to access their mail from the East copy of their mailbox rather than the West coast. And if so how? Would OWA and the outlook client work the same for this purpose?

I originally thought this was the case, but the more I'm reading it seems the replication is geared toward failover, and not like I thought where you could access your mail from the server that was closest to you physically just wondering if I'm mistaken here.

Users access their mail from the activated copy of the database that their mailbox resides on. Proper planning would probably have the west coast users on databases on the west coast servers, and east coast users on the east coast. Database COPIES could reside in the opposing site, but would not be available to users unless the active copy went offline.

Outlook in cached mode greatly reduces LAN and WAN traffic except for new mail.

Replication is indeed for failover, not for your desired configuration.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com swag? I've got mine! Pick some up at
Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Cached mode Outlook would probably work well in your situation but you may take a bit of a hit when user first creates the OST if they have a large mailbox. And works best if they have same PC each time they go to the location so it doesn't have to be recreated anew.

Probably better to have them use OWA when they are in other location though. There isn't much they can't do in it nowadays. Even multiple calendars are available.

Cheers
Neill

Cached mode is what all users should be in. Not only from a bandwidth perspective, but also a feature and server workload perspective. Neill is right in that if a user uses multiple machines, it can mean additional bandwidth consumption.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com swag? I've got mine! Pick some up at
Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back