Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing iMail server from asp page 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rannyman

ISP
Sep 30, 2001
US
I am looking for a way to find out if an accout is on the server from an ASP script. We run over 250 servers and I am trying to intigate it into our ticket system so that when I bring up the users info this script will query the server and see if the account is there.

Any ideas?

I dont have the answer but this may point you in the right direction...SMTP has a command called SMPT VERIFY, it asks the mail server if an account exists. Check the RFC and imail documentation on it. Be forwarend though, allowing smtp verify on your mail servers is inviting spammers to harvest addresses since not only can you do the smtp verify but so can you. If you do go this route, consider setting up a proxy mail server to handle all incoming mail from the net and lock that down tight.
Let me know how it goes as I am also interested in this but don't really have a need for it as of yet.
Scott

Since we already have smtp auth set up that should not be an issue. Now I just have to see if that was enabled by the admins

SMTP Auth only stops mail from being sent, it will still allow anyone to do the verify command thus harvesting your addresses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back