Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing home wireless laptop from outside Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

chiplarsen

IS-IT--Management
Jan 8, 2004
US
Hi, I have a wireless laptop that I am trying to access from work (outside home network). The machine that I will use to access my laptop is running W2K SP4. My laptop is running Windows XP Pro. I am trying to use RealVNC to connect between the two. I have my laptop in the DMZ of my router, Linksys WRT54G. I have given the laptop a static IP. I have also setup port forwarding using the static IP address that I gave the laptop. I am using port 5900. I can not connect to my home laptop. Is there a better product to use? Should I be doing something different? I can ping my router from work. Thank you.

If your laptop is running XP SP2, then the firewall is probably enabled. You may have to go into control panel and turn it off just as a test.

Thank you, pgaliardo. I never thought of that. I will try that.

hi, i've been using ntrconnect to remote access between my laptop, home pc and work place. have to say it has always worked well and hasn't caused problems with the xp's firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back