Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

accessing EXIF information in a jpg image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan - Gendev

Programmer
Jan 9, 2011
AU
Is there any foxpro code snippet anywhere to allow access to the EXIF information?
I have a 3rd party control which can read the EXIF information but not write any changes.
Thanx

GenDev

It shouldn't be too difficult to write some suitable code yourself. The EXIF data is stored at a fixed position within the JPG, and it has a more-or-less fixed format. You can find the relevant details here:

One you have that information, you can use FILETOSTR() read the JPG into a memory variable, then make the changes you need, then use STRTOFILE() to write it back.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

I have since located the 'Help' file for my image control and find that some of the Exif functions are built in methods so no intention to confuse - sorry!

GenDev

One of the nice things about the EXIFTOOL that Tom recommended is that it is not limited to graphics files. It appears to work with many other media types, including Kindle e-books (but for reading only, not read-write unfortunately - not sure why that should be).

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

genedev said:
no intention to confuse - sorry!

My own confusion is already done with in your other thread. Now just take one second to realize why I asked you to post your conclusion here and not there, gendev: Future users.

Don't forget the bigger picture of why this forum exists: To build a knowledgebase that answers question for people searching without even starting their own new threads. And in a case you put a question aside and solve it with other means, that's not perfect for someone looking for Exif information extraction code, but it makes clear this thread doesn't offer that, because you found a solution elsewhere.

Even better now, your conclusion caused tom to post another solution.

Chriss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back