Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing databases on Linux Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

shane01

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2004
NZ
The intranet which Im working on runs on a linux server. i need to make information in a Microsoft Access database available to users. Can I do this using ASP on the linux server? What suggestions does anyone have to access the database on the server?

If the Windows users just need to access files on the Linux box, you can set up a simple file server running Samba (
ChrisP If someone resolves an issue for you, or was helpful, please click the link on the bottom left hand corner of their post to give them a "star" letting them know they helped you.

I want to display the information on a web page? i.e use code to pull up a screen capture of the information the user chooses. There will be some SQL. What do you think?

How is it stored on the Windows machine currently? Samba is used to make a *nix machine 'mimic' a Windoze file server. If your data is just stored on a Windoze share right now, it should be the same thing on a Linux box.

ChrisP If someone resolves an issue for you, or was helpful, please click the link on the bottom left hand corner of their post to give them a "star" letting them know they helped you.

I agree. You're not going to be able to make the information from an Access database available through your Linux-based intranet. The reason is that the Jet database engine (which drives Acess) is required to access the data. There is no Jet engine available on Linux. The Microsoft version might run via wine on Linux, but that makes it real difficult to present the data via a web browser.

An alternative suggestion: Set up an open-source database server on your Linux box -- MySQL and PostgreSQL are both good choices. Instead of storing the data in Acess, store the data in the database server, and make all your Access tables links to the database server via ODBC. This will require installing the appropriate ODBC driver on any machine whose user wishes to run Access to get to the data. But on the other hand, you will have a database that nearly any piece of Linux software can access and make available through your intranet. ______________________________________________________________________
Never forget that we are
made of the stuff of stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back