Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing Btrieve 5.1 Table from Visual Foxpro

Status
Not open for further replies.

chieh

Programmer
May 28, 2004
CA
Hi:

One of my client is using Btrieve 5.1 in a Dos environment, They need to do some reporting on a data store in a btrieve database, i.e. CusOrder.Btr, I would like to find out if there is anyway where I can access this table directly from Visual Foxpro 9, as far as I know from reading the internet, there is no option, however I came across a tool called raSQL that seems to be able to do that.
Had anyone use this tools? and if so, does it work with VFP9?

Also someone mentioned that I have to install Pervasive.SQL V8 WorkGroup Engine (WGE) to access the Btrieve database? will this work?

Thank you in advance,

Chieh Z

Assuming VFP9 is a Win32 application, there will be no way to use the Btrieve 5.1 engine to access the data.
VFP has supported ODBC in the past and if you've got DDFs, you could try creating an ODBC DSN using the Pervasive.SQL WGE (V8 or V9) and then use that DSN from VFP.
As far as raSQL, I've not used it but it would run into the same limitations as above (if it's 32 bit, it can't access Btrieve 5.1).

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician
Custom VB and Btrieve development.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back