Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing a web page to parse its HTML

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoadRacer

Programmer
Dec 18, 2000
US
This might be in the wrong forum but I'm trying anyways. How can I access another web site and put its HTML into a string for example? I'm thinking I might need to write a seperate object for this but before I go re-inventing the wheel, I wanted to know if there was something already out there. If not, how/where can I get the IE Type libraries to make this happen?

Thanks! Ed (RoadRacer) Holguin

"I Hate Computers!"

U can Use Web Browser component and navigate to the specific adress and then save the page as html or text...
I give you the CLSID and the PROGID of the component...
Try to seek them in your registry:
CLSID : EAB22AC0-30C1-11CF-A7EB-0000C05BAE0B
PROGID: InternetExplorer.Application
Hope this gives you ideeas... ________
George, M

if you're trying to do it programmatically rather than just one-time static grab, and you're not locked in to asp, there's a great library in the linux world -- CURL and libcurl provide programatic access to many internet protocols, including http. there's a good PHP driver for CURL. all is documented at the CURL site --
with CURL, you can programmatically request the contents of any .html page to be returned as a string which you can then process in whatever way you want.

its possible that there's a CURL driver available for IIS systems too, but my exposure to it has been on the linux side.

Thanks shaddow. It seems that the WebBrowser component might be a little too much for what I'm trying to do ... but while looking for more info on the component, I came across the WinInet functions that seem to be the ticket to what I need ... now to get it to work is another task, hehe.

Anyone with experience in using WinInet out there?

*listens to the crickets chirp*
Ed (RoadRacer) Holguin

"I Hate Computers!"

I saw something that does that at , it fetches a portion of a webpage and displays that portion on your page. Their demo was a portion of a Yahoo page. Do not know exactly where I saw it, maybe in componant section.

Mitch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back