Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing a static IP thru a default gateway 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

naive43

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
I have a few computers connected in LAN, which is connected to the internet by a DSL connection thru a linksys router, which is the default gateway(192.168.1.1) is there any way that i could reach the computer with the static IP through the router?
also, when i was trying 2 access the router from the browser by typing the default gateway IP, it asked for the username and pwd. i tried doing it the regular way by leaving the username blank and the passwd as "admin", but it wudnt go thru...
i would appreciate any kind of help that i could get on to resolve this issue.
thanks,
naive43

By reaching the computer through the Router, I assume you mean reaching one of your 192.168.1.x PC's from outside your network through the Internet. If so then it depends on what you mean by reaching your PC's. You can set up port forwarding to allow certain TCP/UDP ports to certain PC's. For example, say you wanted to be able to reach a webpage hosted on PC with IP address 192.168.1.10 from the outside. You would configure to forward TCP port 80 to 192.168.1.10 on your router. Now if you want full access to all resources on a PC or you need to forward the same port number to multiple PC's then you should configure a VPN. If you need more info on VPN with a router running NAT, check the VPN forum. I see plenty of threads there all the time.

As for being able to access your router, what make and model is it? Has it already been configured with an admin username/password or is it the factory default setting?

Thanks MaxPipeline for your suggestion. Regarding the router i have, it is a Linksys BEFSR81 router. it is already been configured.it is not in the factory default setting. now it is not allowing me to get into it with the default password "admin" leaving the username blank.any suggestion on this.
thanks in advance.

Considering the router has already been configured I can only assume that whomever configured it changed the access password to something else. Unless you know what that password is your only other recourse is to reset the router back to factory defaults. Fortunately on the Linksys this is easy. Refer to your manual for the Linksys, but IIRC, you simply have to insert a pointy object like a straightened paper clip into the reset button and it should reset back to factory defaults. You can then access the router using the default password of "admin" and reconfigure the router with your PPPoE settings, etc.

Good luck!

naive43,
Not sure on your router but, I access mine (Netgear RT314} through START,
RUN,telnet 192.168.0.1.
This allows full access to the management console where you can configure port forwarding and in my experience the default username and P/W are
Username: Admin
Password: 1234

You should be able to Telnet your router from any PC with in your network from the LAN side.

I have similar setups at several offices and i use pcAnywhere with NO-IP software. In the Linksys interface go to the forwarding page and setup your ext.port for each pc on your lan. (5631 to 5632, 5641 to 5642, etc). Check mark tcp, udp, and enable. Filters page i enabled remote mangement to work on any router by remote. Pcanywhere ports on each machine will have to match the open ports above. I use NO-IP to give a static ip address because of the ISP setup. Make sure you use strong passwords with pcanywhere and router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back