Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing a localhost website from other devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

JScannell

Programmer
Jan 9, 2001
US
This seems to be an IIS on Windows 10 problem because everything works fine on my Windows 7 platform.

I have IIS configured for a localhost website. I wish to be able to connect to it from my Android phone. On my Windows 7 machine, I ran ipconfig and located the ipv4 value and it is 192.168.151.151 so from my cellphone I enter this URL: [sitename] and I am able to run my website.

Conversely, I ran ipconfig from my Windows 10 laptop, located the ipv4 value, and tried running that from my cellphone from my desktop computer but it doesn't work. It justs times out. I tried connecting via my from my desktop computer but it doesn't work from their either.

There must be something that I need to do in IIS (or perhaps McAfee???) on my laptop, but I don't know what.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Jerry Scannell

Jerry Scannell

IIS needs to be configured to listen at the IP4 IP address, not "localhost". Localhost means 127.0.0.1 and that only listens for connections from on that machine, not outside.

How do you tell IIS where to listen to the IP4 IP address?

Jerry

Jerry Scannell

I looked up how to do what you suggested. That didn't work at all. Since you didn't say how to change IIS to listen to the IP4 IP address, I assumed you wanted me to do the following:
- Run the command prompt (has to be run as administrator)
- Execute: netsh
- From the netsh> prompt, type: http
- Then type: show iplisten
- Nothing displayed which means that a particular IP address isn't being looked at, so the default of 127.0.0.1 would be used
- Type in: add iplisten ipaddress=192.xxx.x.xxx (whatever my IP4 IP address is which I determined by running ipconfig on my laptop)
- Restart IIS

That is supposed to make it so I can connect to my local website from anywhere in my local environment. It doesn't work, unfortunately.

SAo, is there an IIS setting that I also need to modify?

I have to remind everyone, that I don't have a problem connecting to my Windows 7 PC's localhost. Only the one on my Windows 10 laptop. I never had to do anyt change to listening ip addresses on my Windows 7 PC.

Thanks,
Jerry

Jerry Scannell

I figured it out! It turns out it was a port setting in McAfee. It wasn't a problem with my Windows 7 computer because McAfee doesn't care about the ports in that environment mentioned. I had to open up port 80 and 443.

Jerry Scannell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back