Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Accessing 56K Dialup with wireless laptopt

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHiD

Vendor
Oct 22, 2003
GB
I have a customer with a Sony laptop with onboard 802.11g capability. He wants to access a 56K dialup connection wirelessly (living in a village where no broadband supplier has bothered to venture).

The obvious (to me) solution was to connect wirelessly to a desktop with a modem, but the customer does not have a desktop machine.

Having considered and discounted a bluetooth modem due to the limited range and interference from 802.11 comms, I am somewhat at a loss.

Does anyone know of a wireless 56k modem or an adapater that can be used with a standard external modem?

Many thanks

Chris.

How about a really long phone cord? Or he could buy another computer to act as his connection to the network.

Does he have slots to use a standard PCI card modem? If so, ignore the 802 for now.

Does the laptop not have a built in modem? Most do these days. If not, you can get a USB or external serial modem from a local computer equipment supplier.

John

I think you guys missed my point. He has a modem built in but wants to use the laptop wirelessly - more money than sense some people, but it's not my place to tell him that, of course.

I guess the second computer is the only way then, but thanks for your feedback.

I'll suggest that to him - not something that we would sell but at least it's an option and gets him off my back.

Or I could tell him to move into town and get broadband :)

Cheers

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back