Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access97-Win2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

yetanotherjo

Technical User
Oct 5, 2003
AU
Does anyone know of any specific problems running Access97 on Windows 2000 (the rest of offic is 2000 version)...they've just upgraded to Win2000 and now Access keeps shutting down - generally when running queries and SQL statements through VBA code.

I've left the client to reinstall Access (97, sigh!) as we decided this was what was broken, not the specific database, but was wondering if there were any known conflicts.

You need to install it access 97 in a separate directory, not the default. If you installed office 2000 after access97, there is also a checkbox where you need to force it to keep existing versions.

I have Access97 running side-by-side with either Access 2000,2002 and XP, on Win2k and Xp boxes, with no problems at all. The only thing that I've noticed is that when you've been running access97, then go to open an instance of the newer version, windows puts up the 'Please wait while we configure...' dialog box and then does some registry hacking behind the scene where it changes the CurrentVersion keys and many others, as well as the icon pointers.
--Jim

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think there would be anything, might just be something got broken during the Win2000 upgrade. They're not running Access 2000 as well, just word and excel, and it was ok while on Win98. (By the way, although we followed all the caveats a previous company I was with still eventually had problems with things getting unstable after mixing Access versions so I hesitate to recommend it to anyone). It's since the Win2000 installation that the problems have started. I'm half hoping the reinstall won't fix it and I can convince the them to move to 2000 and save myself the hassle of having to keep migrating the database when I work on it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back