Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access97 & XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

burr

Programmer
Jul 17, 2000
US
I see a lot of problems in the forum with running Access97 in XP OS. Looks like it might not be the best way to implement Access97. I need to edit on an XP machine,an Access97 file that runs on Win98. Can I convert it to XP, edit it, and then convert it back to 97? From all the problems I see others having, I'll bet it won't work.

The other question is when I install Access97 on the XP OS, I'm getting the old problem ' No liciense on this machine'. The MS fix Aclicn97.exe, that was used on Win98 doesn't work on XP. Any one able to fix this?

Burr
Burr Stephens
burr-stephens@worldnet.att.net

I've done editing of Access MDBs in Access 2002 (XP) then converted them to Access 97, but have experienced problems (although I've always eventually figured them out).

Some problems were corruption of a Form, or unable to display database window (it told me that I needed to upgrade Internet Explorer 6 to a newer version).

Basically, keep immediate backups and keep checking things such as all forms load ok. Others may have additional experience, knowledge and tips.

I've not done a lot with a97 on winXP, but I've encountered no problems.

The other problem is a well documented bug. Search for it on groups.google.com or on the MS site. The fix is that you have to rename hatten.ttf, a font file, do the reinstall, and then you can fix the name of the file. Crazy, but check out the documentation, so you know I'm not loopy.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
AlphaBet City Dataworks

Take a look at the Developers' section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

I'm with Jeremy on this one. I've had very few problems with running 97 on WINXP...

The only real problems I've had are problems that start with using Win2k. Namely using the Filesearch Object... I should of beleived the help topic when it said to use DIR instead.

Actually I do have one beef that is XP specific. The Start Menu is taller. So if you filled up your screen with controls on a previous WIN version, you end up with a scroll bar. You can autohide the start menu but then pop-unders like Outlook task reminders bring it up until you at least put your focus on the dialog... This wouldn't be too bad except that the start menu then covers record selectors and anything else important at the bottom of the screen. The problem is directly related to XP and has nothing to do with Access, so even when I upgrade Access, I'll still have to edit the forms to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back