Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access97/8.0 slower than Access v2.0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

orionsong

Programmer
May 8, 2000
MY
Recently i converted an access 2.0 database into access8.0/97 . Locally on my pc, the Access97 version runs at an acceptable speed. But over the network, the database runs very slowly.. The problem area seems to be a query that parses a table's record into smaller portions that are then input into another table. The queries on the 2 Access versions are exactly the same. Yet Access2.0 takes 2 second to do it and Access97 takes 10-20 minutes to reach a quarter and then pop up with a message saying "can't update; currently locked" .

[sig][/sig]

Yes Access '97 is a memory hog.
It drags a copy of every table in the query accross the network to your PC. You can prove this by making a copy of your query and just use on table. |run it and it wil probably be lightning fast. Then add one more table and test it.

I found a couple of hardware solutions.
Upgrade or Buy FASTER PC's with more memory.
Use NT workstation instead of '95 or '98
Upgrade your Network to 100 BASE-T
We did all of the above over time.
you could do a test: buy 1 new PIII 600 with 128 meg of RAM running Windows 2000 Pro.
the cost is less than $1000.
And see if that makes a difference.
By and far the best solution is a FASTER PC it wil hlp all aspects of your company. All appplication load and run faster, Surfing the internet sending e-mail or whatever. It is the absolute best way to spend money on capital equipment period. the faster your poeple work the more they get. Give these screamer PC's to the people who are on the PC all day and who need to run this query.
[sig]<p>DougP, MCP<br><a href=mailto: dposton@universal1.com> dposton@universal1.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br> Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.[/sig]

I've tried the abovementioned tip from DougP. However, it didn't work. On my PC locally, the Access97 version worked alright/acceptably.
When over the network, it works very slowly and shows the error &quot;can't update; currently locked&quot;
It doesn't seem to be related to the hardware specs coz i tried Win98 + 100Base-T + PIII 600Mhz + 128mb Ram.

We're running over Novell Netware. The thing is, the Access 2 version runs fantastic but the Access97 version runs so slow over the NETWORK. It seems to be that particular query only causing the problem. But the query is identical in both versions of the Access. Any help?? [sig][/sig]

I'll ask Phooey to reply to this as he knows the answer
[sig][/sig]

We have a Novell Network and I've had this problem a number of times... I found the problem was a duff network card running very slowly..

The network card was changed to a newer version, and lo and behold... The problem went away.

[sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back