Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access2003 .adp on SQL Server 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

VicM

Programmer
Sep 24, 2001
US
Hi,

I often use an Access .adp database to link to SQL tables in order to add, delete and modify fields.

However, the installation where I'm working has Office 2003 installed and they're using SQL Server 2005.

When I created the .adp in Access and tried to open a table in design mode, a message popped saying that my version of Access was created before the SQL Server version and that modifications to the design would not be permitted. And that I should check Microsoft for a possible update.

I have searched the MS site and have been unable to find said update.

Was just wondering if, in fact, there is one and I'm not putting in the proper search criteria.

Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

Thanks,
Vic

There is no update. To manage SQL server 2005 you need either the SQL 2005 Management Studio or Access 2007. FYI there is an ADP forum.

Although I have not dealt with ADP's connected to SQL Server 2005 yet, I would think it is just a matter of changing the connection?

Joe, he has rehomed his backend he just can't make changes via the Access interface...

An Access ADP uses a lot of extended properties in SQL Server and it simply chucks in managing it in 2005 from Acc 2003. Although for the 6 hours or so I had Acc 2007 installed (what a behemonth office 2007 is) I found you could manage a 2005 database from Acc 2007.

Thanks guys. I sort of figured there wouldn't be a patch. Just wanted to confirm.

FYI-I'm programming in VB2005 .NET using VisualStudio 2005. VS has a Server Explorer, and that's usually how I set up or modify the tables.

It's just that I had used the .adp approach in the past and was trying to relive that experience. LOL

Vic

We currently have an Access 2003 MDB which is linked to a SQL 2000 database as the back end. We are about to upgrade to SQL 2005. Has anyone found any problems doing this? Will everything work as before? Huge questions I know but a few pointers would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

SQL Server works the same for linking. I have used linked tables with both 2000 and 2005, although not extensively. Because Access is a little weird about identifying unique records, I would not be surprised if you need to relink some tables.

I have several Access front-ends linked to SQL Server 2005 and have found it no different than linking to SQL 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back