Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access2000 & FoxPro

Status
Not open for further replies.

duklaprague

Technical User
May 7, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have recently upgraded from Access 97 to Access 2000 at work.

Before the upgrade I used Access to Front End FoxPro(v2.6) tables. However, since upgrading, when I try to link the Foxpro tables into Access, they appear to be read only.

Has anyone else had this problem, know of a workaround, or is it simply a tough luck wersioning issue?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Iain

How are you linking? Are you using ODBC or the fox pro ISAM? JHall

Hi,

Not sure (I'm not too technical) - how can I tell?

Basically I have Access open, and go to File>Get External Data>Link Tables and from there just link to the FoxPro Table. Like I say - it worked before, so can't think why it shouldn't now unfortunately....

Cheers,
Iain

what did the little icon next to the table look like before? JHall

Hi,

As far as I remember it used to be the little red fox icon, whereas now its just a more generic black "db" icon.

Any ideas?

Iain

Hi!

Can you upgrade your FoxPro tables to Visual FoxPro? I don't think A2k recognizes FoxPro.

hth
Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

This has been the source of a lot of controversy. Originally MS released Access so that only Reading of linked dbase tables was allowed. They told customers to buy the Borland Database Engine BDE which we did and it worked. I think in later releases you no longer have to buy the BDE. For starters see
"

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought it should be OK, as there is an option for dBASEIV when you try to link a table (which I thought was FoxPro).

Jeff - when you say A2K doesn't recognize FoxPro, would it still link the table as read only?

Evalesthy - when you say later releases no longer require BDE - is that later releases of Access or FoxPro? As it is a later version of Access than I had previously (2K over 97 - which worked fine).

TIA,
Iain

Microsoft have removed direct support for ISAM linked Foxpro tables from Access 2000-2002, we had a similar problem here when we upgraded.

Microsoft will tell you that you now have to setup an ODBC Data Source and then link it that way. However we found this option can be very slow with the older foxpro tables (v2.6)

Sindo
[thumbsup2]

Hi!

We haven't been able to get them to read the tables at all. But we haven't tried much since the source of the FoxPro database is upgrading to Oracle and we are just running dual systems until it is done.

Jeff Bridgham
bridgham@purdue.edu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back