Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access XP Error: Visual SourceSafe not Installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorrells

Programmer
Dec 28, 2000
US
Greetings,

I have installed XP Developer, Office and looks like VB6. I did not opt for Visual SourceSafe (VSS) as I am a single programmer.

Now every time I attempt to get into the code for an Access existing program, I get 2 error messages

"Visual SourceSafe client is not Installed"

"You must have Visual SourceSafe version 6.0 or later installed to run the VBA Source Code Add-In.".

It lets me in but I think it also is messing with the programming environent. Why would a DoCmd.Maximize in an OnOpen event of a form make the program not respond so that I have to 'End Task". And of course I cannot abide by these messages every time I go into code. I have no idea why I am being harassed like this.

The Microsoft documentation with the package, the Help and the Web stuff all do not include anything about VSS being required.

The only thing I can think is that this is the second PC I have installed this Developer on (a new one). I did not get hassled about loading on a second machine when I activated Developer but maybe this is their way. In the earlier install, somehow I avoided this problem. I generally keep good notes, which I reviewed so I think that the first time it just was not an issue.

First install was on a Win2k O/S and this time on a Win XP O/S.

Any advice, links to sites (preferably not Microsoft) that might help will be most appreciated.

Regards, Sorrells

I hope this message is not too late that it is not useful.

I've installed Office Developer Edition on several machines and had the same thing happen each time. The problem is that Microsoft installs an add-in to the VBA environment that requires Visual SourceSafe. It's just another example of a common Microsoft oversight. The problem is not critical and I don't think it causes any other problems (in other words, your other bugs are separate bugs) but...it is annoying.

I took the following steps to correct it and get rid of the annoying error messages:

(1) Open up a module of code to get into the VBA enviromnent, and click through the error messages.
(2) Go to the add-ins menu and select "Add-In Manager". This should pop up a dialog box.
(3) Find the entry labeled "VBA Source Code Control". Select it. Uncheck both boxes: "Loaded/Unloaded", and "Load on Startup".
(4) Click OK. This should solve your problem.

Any futher questions, don't hesitate to contact me; info is on the website below:

Best wishes,
Alex Zorach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back