Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access XP database corruption

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKM

Technical User
Jun 26, 2002
US
We have an Access XP database that is getting corrupt.
The field that appears to case the problem is a memo field. When the user enters data there is no error, but when the user returns to the record the field is not accessible. If I look at the field it contains "#ERROR".
The only way to fix it is to run Microsoft's jetcomp on it.
It converts the #ERROR to ###########, which can then be changed.
Now we are also getting various fields contained high order ASCII characters within the database. (They look like Chinese type characters.)
95% or so of the records are entered by the same user.
Thanks for your help.

Three steps:

1. Make sure you have backups working REALLY well, as these sorts of things tend to take the whole database down...one day.

2. Make sure everyone's up on their service packs. Microsoft has the "Office Update" web site which you can probably run on the problem machine; or of course you could get the desktop support people to do it.

3. Check out the database corruption FAQ link below. It's awesome, and I mean that--it has everything. I didn't write it, which is probably why it's so awesome. Anyway, check it out.

--
Find common answers using Google Groups:

Corrupt MDBs FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back