Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access web synchronization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y22222

Technical User
Dec 4, 2003
US
Hi,
I need to place Access Master DB on our website and synchronize it with several replicas on local (office) PCs through the Internet.
So far i'm getting HTTP error about wrong address when trying to synchronize over the Internet.
Does anybody know if there are special components or anything else that should be installed on web server in order to support Access synchronization?

Web hosting Tech support answer was something like this:
"I guess we don't support it."

I thought that DB folder with 'write' permissions would be enough...but it's not working.

Thank you.

All Access/JET-related operations require direct access to the file. Meaning that you can browse out to the file using Windows Explorer.

http:// is a protocol for sending web pages. You cannot send replication updates, or whatever, via HTTP. The closest to this you can do is:
1. Download the file to your computer
2. Synchronize your local file with the newly-downloaded file
3. Upload the synchronized file to the web server

This of course, is very problematic, and shouldn't be your standard procedure.

For a solution, maybe you can get some sort of VPN access to the web server so you can 'get at' your Access MDB file.

Good luck.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back