Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

access vs paradox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earth

Technical User
May 8, 2000
AU
Hi

I posted a message quite similar to this to the Paradox newsgroup a week or so ago, and am looking for some more opinions.

My company is currently looking at the advantages of the two software packages. Cost is an issue. So is the fact that we currently have a fairly large Access database.
So my basic question is:
* Does Access offer any major advantages over Paradox?
* Does Paradox offer any major advantages over Access (aside from being considerably cheaper)?

Thanks.

I've used both Access and Paradox, in fact I've converted Paradox data into an Access database that I finished developing a couple of years ago. I actually like both Paradox and Access. I don't know that there are any major advantages to either.

However, since cost is an issue I'd stay in Access. I'm guessing you're trying to decide whether or not to upgrade to the latest version (Access 2000). Although I think the QBE in Paradox is more intuitive and flexible (once upon a time this was very important to me, but we all adapt) than Access, MS-Office is far more widely used these days. Not to mention the fact that a Paradox database would have to be developed which would add to the cost. By contrast, an upgrade to say, Access 2000 (depending on the complexity of the database) would be pretty smooth and the only cost would be the price of the upgrade software.

HTH

Dave

Hhhm. The software cost of keeping the Access db is FAR greater than swapping to Paradox: Corel offers a developers package which, as far as I understand at this point, allows you to install the db + runtime on as many PC's as you want for a one off cost. Incidently, this would cost us about the same as to buy ONE standard Access license.

But, are the savings likely to outweigh the costs in (a) rebuilding the db?? Would be looking at taking upwards on a year to get it back to full functionality, plus the developer (me) would have to learn Paradox: something I have not ever encountered.

I suppose this is something that only I (and the directors of course) can make a decision on. Has anyone had any similar experiences, good or bad in the past? No one in my company is familiar with Paradox.

Just read but your point about seting up the database on a number of PC with the single cost, their is a section in the FAQ that explanins how this can be done in access called "Can I distribute an Access application to users who don't have Access Licenses? "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back