Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access Versions and NT vs Win2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKatReliable

Programmer
Jul 2, 2002
US
This is not a fair problem to pose to this group, but perhaps someone has run into this already...

One of our power users has VBA in Access developed on his NT machine (Access 2000 v. 9.0.4402 SR-1) that was distributed to other users throughout our office and has run fine for quite a few months.

Now some PCs have been upgraded to Windows 2000 and have Access 2000 v. 10.4302.4219 SP-2. The VBA code errors out on a very simple IF statement, testing the value of a numeric field in order to highlight the number on a report.
The user claims, of course, that no changes have been made to his app.

Anyone run into any incompatibilites moving to Win2000 and/or the more current version of Access?

The user who developed the app still has WinNT, so debugging is kinda sorta futile on his PC.

Regards,
Glenn Koproske

I have run into similar problems and managed to muddle through - but I can only give you pointers not specifics.
Our problems revolved around Missing references (tools/references the VBA), DAO and ADO (I finished up avoiding ADO) and Service Packs (just make sure you are uptodate all round - NT, 2K & Office).

HTH

Andrew

Go to a machine that doesn't work well (the ones running Win2K) and open the database. Press CTRL-G to open the VBA environment, then go to Tools->References. You should see a reference that is "MISSING:".

If you do see a missing reference, you can 1. remove it, 2. remove it and re-add a different version of the reference, or 3. install whatever is missing onto the new machine

I don't know which will solve your problem, because there's not enough information. As with all things, save a backup before messing with the references.

The ideal solution is that your new machines will be able to use the database in tandem with the old machines. Once you have "updated" the references to work with the new machines, then the references on the old machines may break.

Enjoy.

Pete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back