Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access VBA Code to Prevent Duplicates in my Form Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abbsters

Technical User
Aug 26, 2021
US
Hi all,

I have been searching the web and found an "On Error Resume Next" code to prevent users from entered duplicate values for only one field.
Terms:
ICE Detainers - Raw Data = my table where my data is stored
Booking Nbr = the field I cannot have duplicates in

Below is my code that I am using:
Private Sub txtBookingNbr_BeforeUpdate(Cancel As Integer)
On Error Resume Next

If DCount("*", "ICE Detainers - Raw Data", "Booking Nbr='" & Me.txtBookingNbr & "'and Booking Nbr='" & Me.txtBookingNbr & "'") > 0 Then
MsgBox "This Booking Number already exists. Please enter a unique Booking Number to continue. If you would like to search for this duplicate, close the whole detainer form by clicking the X at the top of this form and reopen again from the Main Menu", vbInformation, "Duplicate Booking Number"
Me.txtBookingNbr.SetFocus
Cancel = True

Me.txtBookingNbr.Undo

End If
End Sub

I did get my code to work and the custom duplicate message does pop up. However, when I do input a unique value into this field the Duplicate message pops-up, acting like my unique value is a duplicate. I did double check my table to make sure I was inputting a unique value, which I am. Is there something wrong with my code? PS> I am a novice VBA coder, so please keep help in Lame's terms. .

If you have spaces in field names you pay the penalty of requiring []s. You were missing space and seem to apply the same filter twice.
Code:
If DCount("*", "[highlight #FCE94F][[/highlight]ICE Detainers - Raw Data[highlight #FCE94F]][/highlight]", "[highlight #FCE94F][[/highlight]Booking Nbr[highlight #FCE94F]][/highlight]='" & Me.txtBookingNbr & "'[highlight #FCE94F] [/highlight]and [highlight #FCE94F][[/highlight]Booking Nbr[highlight #FCE94F]][/highlight]='" & Me.txtBookingNbr & "'") > 0 Then

Duane
Minnesota
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP 2001-2016

If his [tt]Booking Nbr[/tt] field is really a Number, no single quotes are required around [tt]Me.txtBookingNbr[/tt]

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back