Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access update text box problem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadCatmk2

Programmer
Oct 3, 2003
GB
Hi All

I have a question regardin and access application i am helping to build. I have a subform with a number of text fields in the details section as follows:

Date Paid - Bound to field in payment table
Weeks Elapsed - shown as result of calculation (works fine)
Fee Due - shown as result of calculation (works fine)
Discount Given - Bound to field in payment table
Fee Due Less discount - shown as result of calculation (works fine)
Amount Due To Date - shown as result of calculation (works fine)
Amount Paid - Bound to field in payment table
Total Paid To Date - Bound to field in payment table
Balance - shown as result of calculation (works fine)

The problem i am having is with the [Total Paid To Date] field. I'd like to populate this with an updated total of the amount paid so far over a number of payments.
Also on the subform i have a field [Total Amount Paid]. This is a sum of all entries in the {Amount paid] field. At present there is a macro that is run which refreshes [Total Amount Paid] and then tries to set the [Total Paid To Date] field.

The setValue command in the Macro is set to this:
Item: [Forms]![Student]![Student on Courses subform]![Payment subform]![Total Paid to Date]
Expression: [Forms]![Payment subform]![Total Amount Paid]

I was hoping that this should assign the latest value of the [Total Amount Paid] to the latest [Total Paid To Date] in the details section. It doesn't however do that. When i change the expression to just a number it sets it no problem at all.

Hope this makes some sense.

Does anyone out there have any ideas how this could be done?

Thanks in advance.

Hallo,

IMHO, macros are horrible and should never be used for runtime code (with the possible exception of an AutoExec macro). But I digress.

You can use the DSum function to return the sum of values from a table.

- Frink

I don't like macros either but i'm sticking with how it was initially started and just trying to get this one problem sorted. How would i go about using the DSum function? i need to update the value in the field as a new record is added. WHere would the DSum be used?

Thanks for the reply.

Hallo,

On a form, the BeforeUpdate event is triggered immediately before the record is saved.
You could put me![Total Paid to Date]=Nz(DSum("[Amount Paid]","tblPayments","[Student]='" & Me![Student] & "'"),0)

Or something like that, However, you should consider not storing this value in the table, but calculating it (using DSum) every time, then it will always be correct.

- Frink

Thanks for that. The "not storing it in a table" idea sounds like a good one. If i went with that approach, would i just create a textbox and set the control source to a DSum formula?

Cheers

OK. Sorry to ask yet another Dsum question (Brains not working this close to the holidays)

I'm using

I've got this so far:

Dsum("[Amount Paid]", "payment"

Presumably this will sum all [amount paid]'s in the table "payment". I now need to narrow down what is summed. I have a another three fields in the details (which will be hidden) They Are:

StudentSAN
CourseSAN
PaymentSAN

I want to sum all [amount paids]'s where studentSAN, courseSAN, are equal to there values on the form and PaymentSAN is less than its value on the form. How do i go about putting this into the DSum formula.

Thanks for all your help.

Hallo,

Did you read my example in my second post?

The third parameter of DSUM, which I had as "[Student]='" & Me![Student] & "'" is used to filter the DSUM total.
You probably want a third parameter something like:
"StudentSAN='" & me!StudentSAN & "' AND CourseSAN='" & me!CourseSAN & "' AND PaymentSAN < " & Me!PaymentSAN
Assuming StudentSAN and CourseSAN are strings and PaymentSAN is a number.

- Frink

Sorry. yes, i seen the example in your post. I got myself confused but i get the idea now.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back