Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access to shared folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

bubba271

MIS
Feb 25, 2003
CA
What's the best(easiest) way to logon to the domain and be able to access shared folders and drives in an MS network. I am using the Cisco VPN Client Version 3.6.3

Right now I can ping all the machines on the network when connected, but can't map a drive or use network neighborhood.

Thanks

It depends. If you are a computer savy user, you can manually map the drive specifying a username/password for the NT domain. However, if your not a computer savy user then you should setup the vpn software to start before login and join your computer to the domain.

Have you included like this?
vpngroup myvpn wins-server 10.0.0.7
vpngroup myvpn dns-server 10.0.0.8

It will help with resolution.

Can you map drives via IP address?
"net use k: \\10.0.0.12\sharename /persistent:no"

I usually use a login-script-like batch file using net use statements.

Connectibility also depends on how you access the Internet. One of our clients has no problem with a PIX VPN if they connect via another LAN, but has all kinds of problems if they us AOL dialup.

-gbiello

HI.

> Right now I can ping all the machines on the network when connected
> but can't map a drive or use network neighborhood
But do remote VPN clients realy need to have access to the whole internal network, or just to one or few specific hosts?
Do they need to see the network neighborhood?

VPN clients (once working and pingable), have 2 additional problems:

* name resolution.
Can be solved with either LMHOSTS, HOSTS, WINS, DNS, FTP, HTTP and more.

* Slow bandwidth in most cases.

For remote users that need file access, you can overcome this problems in several ways, for example:
* If the remote user has also his/her own workstation at the office, you can implement remote control (VNC/PCAW/etc) over the VPN tunnel.
* Similare idea: implement a terminal server for remote users.
* Access the files using HTTP/FTP - eliminates name resolution problems, and better suites for slow links then MS file sharing protocols.
When using HTTP/FTP, it is also easier for you to restrict VPN clients to these protocols (and mail) only - which gives you better security and control.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back