Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Access to SAP via Oracle ODBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

rgb30b

Technical User
May 9, 2003
US
I have help build several BAPIs apps. Sometimes the code becomes “very intensive" in VB. I looked at a product called TablePro, and eventually bought it. It is very fast and configurable, in terms of data retrieval. By the way this is not an advertisement. I am curious though, I see nothing magical about this software, except that it is very easy to use. It uses the SAP Console credentials for logon, after that I’m not sure what happens in the background to access SAP. Probably hits librfc32.dll and a few other .dlls as well. My question, how would I, or can I tap into SAP using an Oracle ODBC connection, having all the necessary info available e.g.; CPIC logon, server info, hostname etc?

Thankx in advance...

Q 1 - Will your BASIS / DBA team let you have appropriate access ?

A 1 - Probably not. Every table & tablespace in a SAP system (R3, BW, CRM, whatever) is owned by the one user. If you have read access to any data, you have read access to ALL data (including USRxx tables). Even worse, if you have UPDATE access to any data, you have update access to all data (including the records in table USR01 that contain the SAP*, DDIC etc passwords !!)

Q 2 - How will you interpret the data you see ?

A 2 - There's literally thousands of tables in a modern R3 system. The logical structure (that you via SE11) is reflected in the physical layout of the data, but in a very complicated manner. For example, there is no ONE physical / Oracle record that tells you everything about a Vendor.

motorbikes fall over if you slow down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back